About the position
PEDAL Society promotes the use of bicycles as a healthy, affordable and environmentally sound form of transportation. We offer education in mechanical skills to empower people and to enable their access to community services and opportunities. We do this through our three main programs. Our Community Bikes is a cycling education and resource centre and social enterprise. Our Community Bike Club is the youth outreach program which provides a variety of maintenance and riding opportunities. Pedals for the People provides free bikes, parts, and repairs for people who face financial barriers.
Summary of Position
The Service Manager is responsible to oversee all scheduled repairs and service ticket management relating to client owned bicycles and bicycle donations. As the senior mechanic in the shop, they will work with the shop manager in developing and implementing the repair strategy and procedures. The Service Manager will interact with customers and clients, as well as with all staff, program youth, and volunteers so leadership, exceptional customer service, and people skills are required. Primary responsibilities comprise three areas: service tickets, mechanical aptitude and development of staff, and customer service. The Service Manager will work in tandem with staff, Shop Manager and the Executive Director, but will be required to exercise discretion and independent judgment to ensure successful and efficient store operations. This role reports to the Shop Manager.
- Oversee scheduled repairs and ticket management
- Be the lead on mechanical procedure
- Responsible for bicycle intake and flow of work orders and donation streams.
- Evaluate mechanical aptitude of staff and provide training and development opportunities
- Develop procedures as needed, and communicate policies and procedures to staff
- Ensure appropriate assessments, quality service and safety control on service tickets
- Oversee refurbished bicycle production
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment
- Organize and manage the service department schedule
- Undertake work orders and bike builds
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- 1 year experience managing people
- Commitment to supporting our mission and strengthening our organization through visioning, strategic planning, and general promotion
- Commitment to open and direct communication
- Demonstrated understanding of financial responsibility
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to organize, delegate, and prioritize assignments
- Proven history of delivering high quality work within expected timelines
- Self-motivated, confident, competent, and empathetic
- Comfortable and confident using computer based Point of Sales, Office or Mac, and Google Docs
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate with colleagues, youth, and volunteers
- Clear interest in and understanding of anti-oppression politics
$20-25/hour. Health Benefits available. Please apply by November 27, 2020. Aim for the position to commence January 4th, 2021. PEDAL seeks staff who reflect the diverse community we serve. Individuals typically underrepresented in the bicycle mechanics industry are highly encouraged to apply including people of colour, indigenous people, queer people, trans people, women, people living with disabilities, and/or mental health variations.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- Why you are interested in this position
- How your experience makes you a good match